Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Why do I need a Dental Implant?


This week I saw a few of my patients who have had me surgically replace teeth with dental implants. It made me proud to see my work function well and look like a real tooth. The dental implant is the closest replacement dentists have to a brand new tooth. One day I expect to inject genes below the surface of the gum and generate a new tooth biologically. Until then I must rely on my training as a surgeon....which is along the lines of an orthopedic surgeon actually. When a tooth is lost immediately the gum tissue and bone below start to heal. If nothing is done this will heal completely, however significant changes will occur to the shape of the area. If we were to place bone or some grafting material into the socket and cover it up there is much less change to the site. The body will deposit bone and grow new gum tissue. Minimal changes occur. An implant placed here will do well. If the space is left alone the lack of use (lack of tooth) will allow the bone to deteriorate and shrink. Finally if a tooth is removed and it is possible to place an implant immediately minimal changes occur to the site. In fact one of the patients that I saw this week was such a case. The photos before and after show the gum tissue has really not changed at all. This is ideal when a front tooth and there is little room for change. As for the other patient timely implant placement has allowed little change in the area. In both instances we are very happy with the results. Dental implants have been in dental use for about 25 years. They have a great success rate (98%) when placed and cared for properly. I look forward to the day when we can clone teeth or grow them in the site. Until then, my artistic and surgical skills will be an important thing to maintain.

No comments: