Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Antidote, Anesthesia Reversal


Recently I have adopted a new product. Oraverse. Essentially this is the antidote to numbness. Many patients hate to get numb simply because the after-effects are bothersome. Only a handful of people opt not to have anesthesia because the alternative is possible pain. I "unlike the popular belief" do not like pain, nor do I wish to inflict it. So obviously for the most part we will get patients numb BEFORE working. On occassion it is useful to cause the anesthsia wear off faster.

For example I had a patient going to a parent teacher meeting after his appointment. Not wanting to drool and give a bad impression to his son's teacher he opted for the Oraverse.

As we were finishing up his eyes got wide and he touched his face...he gasped "WOW".

I questioned his comment and he said that the anesthesia wore off like a wave. His feeling had come back in a few minutes rather than a few hours.

Although reversing anesthesia is not necessary...we can leave the body alone and it does wear off on its own. If necessary technology has allowed us (as I call it) the antidote to anesthesia.

No comments: